Oregon Historic Sites Database

Search Menu

Site Information small logo

Oregon Historic Sites Database

address:122 S Main St historic name:Vale IOOF Hall
Vale, Malheur County current/other names:Vale I.O.O.F. Hall, Vale Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall
assoc addresses:135 S Main St
block/lot/tax lot:
location descr: twnshp/rng/sect/qtr sect:18S 45E 29
resource type:Building height (stories):2.0 total elig resources:1 total inelig resources:0
elig evaluation: eligible/significant NR Status: Individually Listed
prim constr date:c.1907 second date: date indiv listed:12/06/2016
primary orig use: COMMERCIAL: General orig use comments:
second orig use: Museum
primary style: Commercial (Type) prim style comments:
secondary style: sec style comments:
primary siding: Brick:Other/Undefined siding comments:
secondary siding: Sandstone
plan type: 2-Part Block architect:Herbert W. Bond
builder:Charles Begg: Stone Mason, James Harvey: Brick Mason
comments/notes:
HRR 5/27/2011, preliminary evaluation made, more information requested (IJ)
Survey/Grouping Included In: Type of Grouping Date Listed Date Compiled
   Vale Commercial Historic District Potential Historic District 2000
NR date listed: 12/06/2016
ILS survey date:
RLS survey date: 05/27/2011
106 Project(s)
SHPO Case Date Agency Effect Eval
08/02/2000 Adverse Effect
Special Assess Project(s): None
Federal Tax Project(s): None
(Includes expanded description of the building/property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings and alterations)
The Vale Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Hall stands in downtown Vale, Oregon, a small community located in the rural and arid southeastern portion of the state. The building is a two-story, two-part commercial building, located at the southeast corner of the principal intersection in the downtown commercial core of the city. Facing west across Main Street South, the principal elevation features two ground floor storefronts flanking the cast-iron column-supported recessed entries for both the commercial spaces and the double-door, centered entry for the upstairs meeting hall. The running bond-laid brick-clad second floor is divided into four bays featuring one-over-one, double-hung wood sash windows placed singly and in pairs, each accented by a stone sills incorporated into a continuous belt, and flat-arch lintels with keystones. The façade is framed by pilasters clad in rusticated stone on the first floor (matching the materials most evident on the first floor, side elevation facing A Street), and red brick on the second. A centered cast-stone relief of the Odd Fellows’ “triple link” symbol is placed below the prominent projecting flat cornice and brick parapet capped with rusticated sandstone. The main facade details are generally carried on the north side elevation, which faces A Street East, including stone at the first floor with brick above, stone belt at second floor sills, flat arch lintels, and cornice. The building has two small additions, including a single-story poured-concrete historic-period shed addition at the rear (east) of the building, and a single-story, flat-roofed building built separately circa 1910, and later (ca.1972) joined to the IOOF Hall on the interior. This adjacent building, now considered to be substantially connected on the interior, and therefore considered a part of the IOOF Hall, is clad in T1-11 plywood and multi-colored stone veneer on the south. The approximately 10,000 square foot interior is divided into 24 rooms across the full-height basement (2), first-floor commercial spaces (12), and the second-floor lodge hall (10). Interior finishes are utilitarian, and many were replaced or covered over time.
(Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period - preferably to the present)
The Vale IOOF Hall is locally significant under Criterion A for its association with the social history of Vale, Oregon. Fraternal organizations were extremely important to the vitality and continued development of small towns across the United States as they provided social services before the enactment federal programs, such as Social Security. The Vale IOOF Hall is particularly significant not only due to its association with the Odd Fellows, but also because it served as the primary meeting place for community gatherings. These events included holiday parties, political meetings, dances, and other public events. The hall also served as a meeting place for other fraternal organizations, such as the Knights of Pythias and the Freemasons. The building remained an important social center within the city of Vale throughout the period of significance until 1937, when the building was sold. The building, following the sale, no longer served as the primary gathering place for local events and other social happenings. Although no longer used for lodge purposes, the Odd Fellows Hall is the only extant building built and operated historically by a fraternal organization in Vale.
Title Records Census Records Property Tax Records Local Histories
Sanborn Maps Biographical Sources SHPO Files Interviews
Obituaries Newspapers State Archives Historic Photographs
City Directories Building Permits State Library
Local Library: University Library:
Historical Society:Malheur County Historical Society Other Respository:
Bibliography:
Auyer, ZaDean. “Vale” from History of Malheur Country Vol:II. Malheur County, OR: Malheur Country Historical Society, 1988. 118-123. Brownridge, Dennis Reed, “Secret Societies and Their Impact on the Architectural Landscape of the West,” A Dissertation Presented to the Department of Geography and the Graduate School of the University of Oregon, June 1976. The East Oregonian (Pendleton, OR). “No Title”, February 16, 1907. p. 4. French, Hiram Taylor. History of Idaho; a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests. Vol 2. Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago. 1914. Gregg, Jacob Ray. Pioneer Days in Malheur County: Perpetuating the memory of prominent pioneers and preserving an authentic history of the count. Los Angeles, CA: L.L. Morrison, 1950. p. 303-313. Hicks, David. National Register Nomination for the “Clatskanie IOOF Hall.” Washington DC: National Park Service, 2012. IOOF of Oregon. Proceedings R.W.G. Lodge of Oregon: 1936-1940. Portland, Oregon. 1940. Malheur Booster (Vale, OR). “No Title”, August 1, 1908. p. 3. Malheur Enterprise (Vale, OR). Multiple Articles. Malheur Gazette (Vale, OR). “Notice to Contractors”, February 20, 1908. The Malheur Gazette (Vale, OR). Multiple Articles. Malheur Gazette (Vale, OR). “No Title”, August 27, 1908. The Oregon Daily Journal (Portland, OR). “Vale Odd Fellows to Build”, February 19, 1907. p. 5. The Oregon Oriano (Vale, OR). Multiple Articles. "Our Mission." The Grand Sovereign Lodge Independent Order of Odd Fellows. 2013. Accessed August 17, 2015. http://173.213.228.4/WCM/IOOF/About_Us/Mission/IOOF/AboutUS/Mission.aspx?hkey=836e4547- 847f-466f-a9f1-0b67deb0b125. Ritz, Richard Ellison. Architects of Oregon. Lair Hill Publcihing, Portland, OR, 2002. Sanborn Fire Insurance Company. 1911-1941. “Vale, Malheur County”. Digital Sanborn Maps 1867-1970. http://sanborn.umi.com.libproxy.uoregon.edu/or/7480/dateid-000002.htm?CCSI=2197n. Smith, Don R., and Wayne Roberts. "History of Odd Fellowship." In The Three Link Fraternity: Odd Fellowship in California. Linden Publications, 1993. Accessed August 17, 2015. http://173.213.228.4/WCM/IOOF/Abou t_Us/history_California.aspx?hkey=e103f4ba-d884-411dc-c64681a11837 U.S. Census Bureau. “Oregon: Table 1: Population of Minor Civil Divisions: 1910, 1990, And 1890.” http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/05013017ch4.pdf Wright, Rhonda and Rosalind Keeney. National Register Nomination for the “Hardman IOOF Hall.” Washington DC: National Park Service, 2012.