|The Memorial Union is a three-story, 303,512 square foot, Neoclassical building made of red brick with white cast stone. Granite steps lead up to a broad mezzanine-level platform in the building’s front, with a 35’ wide terrace, bordered by a stone balustrade, extending the length of the building. The building has a slightly hipped roof with a domed rotunda atop the central, projecting pavilion. The rotunda is made of white-glazed terra-cotta laid over the reinforced concrete dome. The pavilion features four columns, two on each side of a 28’, arched bronze entryway with glass panels. The pavilion has a parapet with dentils on its projecting cornice. The building is symmetrical, with the front of the building featuring twelve Tuscan columns on either side of the pavilion, and two pilaster strips beyond them. The building’s sides are also adorned with pilasters, totaling six on each side.
Alterations: The Memorial Union Building has undergone numerous renovations to keep up with modern needs. On ground level, below the lounge, a ballroom and stage were completed in 1940. New wings were constructed on the east and west sides of the building in 1960 for the Bookstore and Commons. In 1979 a west-end stairway was added, as well as a below ground loading ramp, and bathrooms were updated. In 1980 the building was updated for handicapped access. Other changes to the building include the addition of acoustical tile, recessed lighting, vinyl wall covering, copper gutters, and sprinkler systems. There was extensive renovation in the 1990s, including two phases of interior upgrades in 1997-98..
Landscape: The Memorial Union is near the center of campus, on the south side of OSU’s central quad. It’s front entrance opens to an expanse of grass. It’s back side is bordered by Jefferson Way.
Setting: The Memorial Union is on the OSU main campus, in the center of Sector C.
Alterations: 1960: Bookstore (East Wing) and Commons (West Wing) added; 1990's Extensive renovation; 1997-98 2 phases of interior upgrades.