Oregon Historic Sites Database

Search Menu

Site Information small logo

Oregon Historic Sites Database

address:22725 SE Eagle Creek Rd historic name:Foster, Philip, Farm
Eagle Creek, Clackamas County (97022) current/other names:Foster Farm; Foster, Philip & Mary, Farm
assoc addresses:29912 SE Hwy 211
block/lot/tax lot:N/A / N/A / 02401
location descr: twnshp/rng/sect/qtr sect:2S 4E 31 A
resource type:Building height (stories):2.0 total elig resources:6 total inelig resources:
elig evaluation: eligible/significant NR Status: Individually Listed
prim constr date:1882 second date:1883 date indiv listed:08/15/1980
primary orig use: Farmstead orig use comments:
second orig use:
primary style: Gothic Revival prim style comments:
secondary style: sec style comments:
primary siding: Wood:Other/Undefined siding comments:Wide dropped w/ cornerboards and rake boards
secondary siding:
plan type: Crosswing architect:Unknown
builder:Unknown
comments/notes:
The 1882 House, Milkhouse and lilac are original to the site. The barn, while original, has been rebuilt. 7-1-2016 - Lucy Foster Burnett House to be moved; a new foundation constructed; and ca 1970s additions removed. Advised County to send us a letter outlining the nature of the move so we can see whether it meets Criteria Consideration B. DJP 8-12-2016 - Building has been moved; is non-contributing element to the historic district. DJP 12-27-2016 - Address changed. Mailing address: PO Box 1040, Estacade, OR 97023. DJP
Survey/Grouping Included In: Type of Grouping Date Listed Date Compiled
   Clackamas County Historic Landmarks Survey & Inventory Project 2008
NR date listed: 08/15/1980
ILS survey date: 09/30/2007
RLS survey date: 02/01/1991
Special Assessment
Status Term End Yr
Closed 1st  1993
106 Project(s): None
Federal Tax Project(s): None
(Includes expanded description of the building/property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings and alterations)
ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Intersecting gable PRIMARY WINDOW TYPE: Double-hung sash w/ architrave molding DECORATIVE FEATURES: Jigsawn brackets OTHER: Full-width porch w/ paired and triple posts, w. elev.; octagonal-paneled and glazed door w/ transom; two interior chimneys ALTERATIONS: The 1883 House, Milkhouse c1920 and lilac are original to the site. The original c1860 barn has been rebuilt, adding a foundation and relaced lower portions of support posts. Additional buildings (blacksmith shop, store, woodshed and restrooms) have been created in traditional materials to authentically replicate the original structures as interpretive museum exhibits. The 1922 granary belonging to Gus Burnett, Foster's grandson, was moved onto the site in 2007 and reconfigured as an archival storage building. Milk House: DATE BUILT: c1920 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Post-and-beam ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Gable w/ wood shingles WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud PRIMARY WINDOW TYPE: Fixed four-light EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Wide, dropped siding w/ corner boards and rake Outhouse - Moved from Harding Grange LANDSCAPE: Ornamental plantings, mature deciduous trees. Purple Lilac was listed as Oregon State Heritage tree on April 6, 1998. Lilac, chestnut, sugar maples recognized as Clackamas County Heritage Trees in 2008. According to Joanne Broadhurst, the Philip Foster family sailed around the horn from Calais, Maine in 1842, bringing pear, apple, sugar maple and lilac starts. The Foster Farm is located on a level site on the east side of Highway 211, a two-lane state highway. The farm is several hundred feet from the intersection of Highway 211 and 224. Vegetation includes several mature trees, shrubs and non-historic plantings. Across the road to the north is a mid-19th century dwelling. This area is a mixture of commercial, residential, recreational, industrial and educational uses.
(Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period - preferably to the present)
SUBJECT PROPERTY The Foster Farm is located on the southern side of Barlow Road within the Phillip Foster D.L.C. It is approximately one quarter of a mile east of the former electric railroad right of way. The property may be evaluated for its association with Foster. The Philip Foster Farm was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The following excerpt was taken from the National Register nomination application: "The Philip Foster Farm was an important rendezvous point on the Barlow Toll Road, the last leg of the Oregon Trail through the Cascade Mountain Range to the Willamette Valley. Pioneer diary entries which describe stopping at the Foster Farm are numerous. The site was considered the last major stop on the Trail before arriving at Oregon City, Foster’s log cabin no longer stands and his first house on the property burned in 1880. Foster erected the present house 1883, chiefly, it is believed, for one of his sons, and it is the only house associated with Foster remaining at Eagle Creek. "Philip Foster was born in Bangor, Maine in 1805. He married Mary C. Pettygrove in 1833 and sailed in 1842-43 with their four children and her brother's family to Oregon City by way of the Horn, arriving in 1843. Francis W. Pettygrove, Foster's brother-in-law, laid out and named the city of Portland in 1844. He and Foster founded a general store in Oregon City in 1843. It is thought that Foster bought land from McSwain for $100 on the banks of a tributary of the Clackamas River, at what is now the community of Eagle Creek. Foster moved to the property in 1847 where he moved into a log cabin (either already exisiting or newly-built) and built a grist mill on Eagle Creek. He later filed a 640-acre donation land claim on the land. "From July 1844 to July 1845, Foster served as Treasurer of the Provisional Government of Oregon. He is credited with establishing on his Eagle Creek claim the first hostelry and store west of the Missouri River on the Oregon Trail, supplying the immigrants with fresh vegetables, meat, and hay. Told many years later by Molly Barlow: in the late fall of 1845, Foster's young sons, George and Francis, found Samuel K. Barlow and William Rector, who were on foot, in extremis, attempting to locate a wagon route around the south side of Mt. Hood. Foster received the men at Eagle Creek and saw them safely to Oregon City. The following year Barlow and Foster obtained a charter from the Provisional Government to develop the 80-mile route. Barlow Road became a toll road in 1846 and many thousands of settlers followed it into Western Oregon. It is estimated that three-fourths of the early immigrants into the Willamette Valley passed through this route; the first traversed by wheeled vehicles across the Cascade Mountains. Toll charges were $5.00 for a team and a dollar a head for men, women, and cattle. Of the many that used it, few had the money to pay, and the road proved a financial loss. Foster collected fees and sold meat and vegetables to the arriving families at his farm. "Foster also organized the first public school at Eagle Creek in 1850, which was named after him. He was appointed Captain in the Indian Wars of 1855-56 by Governor George L. Curry. He was the first postmaster at Eagle Creek, serving from August 1, 1867 to August 1, 1874. He was a farmer and led one of the most profitable agricultural and stock-raising enterprises in Clackamas County. He also became road master and was responsible for the building of Foster Road, a main route from the Eagle Creek to Portland. A former grade school on S.E. 86th Street in Portland is named the Philip Foster School. Foster died in 1884." The Barlow Road, last link of the Oregon Trail, was the route by which overland immigrants crossed the Cascade Range into the Willamette Valley. Dr. Stephen Dow Beckham, Associate Professor of History, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, describes its use over seventy years as follows: "From 1846 until the first decade of the twentieth century, the Barlow Road was a route used by travelers on foot, on horseback or mule, or in wagons. As a wagon road it required four to five days of difficult travel, climbing in elevation to 4,157 feet at Barlow Pass. The route passed through the watershed of the glacial-fed White River, and on the west followed the rugged banks of the Zigzag River in its torturous course to the Sandy. The route passed through dense forest, and, except at Summit Meadows, provided little opportunity for the weary and hungry livestock to find food or a respite from the constant climbing over hills and rocks. With the development of settlements in Central and Eastern Oregon in the 1870s and 1880s, an eastward bound contingent of pioneers also used this road as its gateway to a new promised land. "As the route of transportation in Oregon, the Barlow Road stood unique as the state's longest-operated and privately-controlled toll road. From its charter in 1845 by the Provisional Legislature to the eventual deeding of the road by its last owner to the state in 1919, the route was under private maintenance. Each of the toll companies holding control of this route exacted a toll for travelers, wagons, and livestock. Few firms found the proposition a remunerative undertaking. Many incorporators spent but one season clearing and improving the road before abandoning the enterprise after the collection of the begrudgingly paid tolls at the gates on the route. "By 1903 the Barlow Road has passed into a new era with the journey of an automobile over its ruts to Government Camp. Slowly recreation-seekers rather than home-seekers became the common travelers on this road. In the 1920s the construction of Highway 26, a graded and paved road, markedly changed the speed and experience of travelers over the western part of the Barlow route. Where days had been consumed by the weary travelers of the 1840s and 1850s in descending Laurel Hill or braving the Devil's Backbone, minutes or an hour or two were all that were required for travelers to reach the crest of the Cascade Range at Barlow Pass.1 The importance of Philip Foster's farm at Eagle Creek as the last major stopping place on the Barlow Road in the period of the road's heaviest use is illustrated by emigrant diary entries such as the one set down by Esther McMillan Hanna in the early 1850s. "Mr. Foster has accommodations for emigrants and their sick. He has a store to supply them with provisions and he boards a great many of them at his own table. He also has pasturing for stock, an abundance of hay, oats, in short everything that the emigrant needs when stopping. Nearly everyone stops a few days to recruit before going farther up the valley. Mr. Foster has several cabins in which they can stay for a short time. "While the Barlow Road was still an entity after Philip Foster's house burned in 1880 and the existing house on the Foster Farm was completed circa 1883, the farm was most prominent in the story of overland immigration from 1846 to 1859. Nevertheless, until as late as 1908, the year in which the Portland Traction Company's railroad to the new townsite of Estacada was completed, travelers paused at the Foster Farm to avail themselves of fresh water springs. During the time that the railroad was under construction, E. N. Foster, one of Philip Foster's ten children, and operator of the family farm, fed the railroad workers--among whom were many Chinese laborers--and put them up in the woodshed, which doubled as a fruit and general storage building. "The farm entered its most productive period under E. N. Foster. It produced sheep and cattle, apples and pears. Around 1910 berries were introduced to the farm, and neighborhood children who were hired to pick them were given lunch at the back porch or kitchen of the farmhouse. During the First World War, some of the fruit orchards were taken out and replaced by potatoes and vegetables. A potato shed erected between the house and barn is no longer standing, but its concrete foundation is still evident." In the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill study area, approximately 46% of the 64 residences on the inventory are designed in the Vernacular style. The Foster Farm is one of 20 Vernacular residences in the study area constructed during the Progressive Era (1884-1913). This property contains the earliest of three milk houses on the inventory in the study area. HISTORIC BACKGROUND The earliest settlers in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area was the Philip Foster family. Philip Foster, an emmigrant merchant from Maine, arrived in Oregon by sea with his business partner Francis W. Pettygrove in 1843. They established a mercantile in Oregon City that same year. Foster settled in the area near what would later be known as Eagle Creek. According to local legend, Foster learned of the area from a Native American. At Eagle Creek, Foster staked a land claim, built a large log cabin, planted fruit trees from seeds brought from Maine, and erected a grist mill along Goose Creek, which bisected his claim. Foster was an influential man in early Oregon affairs. He was elected Treasurer of the Provisional Government, which included the future states of Washington, Idaho, parts of Montana, and Wyoming. He was also a partner of John McLoughlin and others in the Willamette Cattle Company. Foster may be best known for his participation in the establishment of the Barlow Road. "The single most important road building project during this period was the construction of the Barlow Road, the western segment of the Oregon Trail. Upon receiving funds and a license from the Provisional Government in 1846, Samuel K. Barlow formed a partnership with Philip Foster and constructed a wagon road around Mount Hood, creating the first major overland option to the Columbia River passage. When completed, the road covered 80 miles. In July of 1846, former fur trapper Reuben Gant became the first person to drive a wagon over the new toll road" (Koler/Morrison: 1990). The presence of the Barlow Road contributed to the development of Clackamas County and the Pacific Northwest. The Barlow Road, which evolved into a number of present day thoroughfares, became a Territorial Road and it would retain its status as a primary east-west thoroughfare. Today portions of the road are state highways 26, 211 and 224. The Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area was subject to more intensive and early settlement than any other location in the county for two reasons: (1) the land was suitable for farming and (2) it was on or near the Barlow Road. Many settlers traveling along this early road would identify a desirable place and then file a claim in Oregon City. Others went directly to Oregon City and later "shopped" for a suitable location. Settlement patterns were also determined by family units or former neighbors, who would lay claim to adjacent property. Local school records indicate that other settlers following Foster were: John Church, William Endersby, T. Forrester, Peter H. Hatch, John P. Glover, and Doctor Reed. Later claimants included Bell, Douglas, William Howlett, F. and William Johnson, Judd, and Smith. After the passage of the Donation Land Claim Act of 1850, numerous others settled in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill study area. N. Lamb claimed the land on the north side of the Clackamas River west of present-day Barton. On the land between Eagle Creek and Estacada on the north side of the river were the claims of Thomas Forrester at Deep Creek; Joseph Church, J.P. Glover, James Foster, and Phillip Foster at Eagle Creek; E. Olcott; George W. Weston; John B. Chiles; J. Young; Charles A. Wade; R.P. Young; George Currin at Currinsville; Henry Wehrheim; J.H. Miller, and Hugh Currin at Morrow; S. Torrence; and Thomas Lee. On the south side of the Clackamas River, from Carver on the north to south of Estacada, were the claims of Horace Baker at Carver; William Arthur, Mark Hatton, Soloman Wheeler, John Foster, Ambrose Foster at Deep Creek; Alwin M. Harding at Harding, later Fischer's Mill; Joseph Church, Isaac Eastwell, Isaac M. Foster, Isaac H. Chase, C.E. Tracy, Nathan Marks and Robert Arthur at Logan; W. Harper, Ora Mattoon, Thomas Waterbury, Z.C. Norton, R. Mattoon and A. Mattoon at Viola; Asa Stone; James Brown; Orland Bidwell; Frederick Helms; Henry Rowleed; J. McCord; P. Warnock; Frederick Wallenstein; M. Folsom; J. Stephenson; H. Brown and Samuel Hughes. Flanking either side of Redland Road, west of Viola, were the land claims of William McConnell, William Fosdyke, Ridelash Mettoll, and A. Wright at Redland; Matthew Richardson, David Cutting, Barney Briock, G. Hichinbotham, and A.J. Wright at Four Corners; D. Moster and Nicholas Wells at Viola. The first settlement in the vicinity was at Eagle Creek, named for the preponderance of eagles which inhabited the area where Foster had established the grist mill, as well as the first store and hostelry west of the Missouri River on the Oregon Trail. Foster supplied overland immigrants with fresh food and supplies. After taking over the management of the Barlow Road from Barlow, Foster extended several immigrant trails which radiated from his donation land claim. The intensive settlement of the area caused social improvements to occur relatively early. In 1850 area residents petitioned the Probate Court of the Provisional Government to establish a public school at Eagle Creek. The size of the initial school district was immense by current standards. The petitioners assembled at John P. Glover's house. The following year a frame schoolhouse was constructed. Other political matters occurred during the Settlement, Statehood and Steampower period (1847-1865) which had a significant impact on the development of the Eagle Creek area. In 1854 the Provisional Government saw the need to reduce the size of the Clackamas District, one quarter of the Oregon Country. The elected representatives proposed to create the county of Multnomah out of the Clackamas District. Residents north of the Clackamas River favored the river as the boundary. According to newspaper accounts, Foster was sent by his neighbors to convey their preference, however, due to injury to his horse and generally inclement weather, Foster's arrival was delayed until after the vote was taken. The part of Clackamas County on the north side of the Clackamas River remained Clackamas County rather than becoming part of Multnomah County. The population of the county during the Settlement, Statehood and Steampower period was primarily made up of English, Irish and German immigrants, many of who had lived in Missouri or Kentucky. Mid 19th century dwellings were often of log or simple wood frame construction. Some exhibited an influence from the Classical Revival style of architecture, although generally this influence was limited to symmetrical facade arrangements and suggestions of a cornice at the eave line and corner boards. Like their residential counterparts, agricultural buildings from the period were generally simple buildings. Due to the nature of farming practices, barns and sheds were low profile broad buildings. Few houses and no agricultural buildings are known to survive from this earlier period. After the Civil War, during the period known as the Railroads and Industrial Growth period (1866-1883), the area experienced slow but steady growth. Both Eagle Creek and the community of Clear Creek established post offices in 1867. Foster was named the post master of Eagle Creek, and Oliver P. Mattoon was the post master of Clear Creek. In 1876 Clear Creek was renamed Viola for Violet O. Harding, wife of pioneer Alwin M. Harding. Alwin Harding constructed a mill, later to be known as Fischer's Mill, on Clear Creek in the 1860s. This enterprise was purchased by Mathias Carl Kirchem in 1867. The mill was sold in 1889 to August Fischer, whose descendants operated the facility through the historic period. Also in 1869, a church, to be later known as the Viola Church, was constructed along present-day Springwater Road. Nearly 20 years later the church was moved to the place known as Viola. At the future site of Carver, a slack-line ferry was put into operation by Horace Baker in 1872. The ferry would operate until it was taken out by a flood in 1882. That year a bridge was constructed at Baker Ferry, and the place-name changed to Baker Bridge. Horace Baker also contributed in other ways to the transportation history of Clackamas County and the state of Oregon. Baker supplied the stone for the construction of the locks at the Willamette Falls (1868). The construction of the Oregon California Railroad, the single most important transportation improvement of the period, did not serve the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill community directly. However, despite the inaccessibility to the area, the rural population continued to expand. With the exception of the more hilly areas, farms were established throughout the study area. During the Railroads and Industrial Growth period, subsistence farming was the norm throughout the county, as well as in the study area. Livestock and cereal grains were raised and lumber complemented the rural economy. Kitchen gardens were essential. Toward the end of the period, oats began to surpass wheat as the number one crop and potatoes attained the rank of number three crop. Increasing numbers of livestock corresponded with an increase in hay production. The total number of acres in cultivation tripled from 1866 to 1883. Lumber was an important part of the local economy. Saw mills and grist mills dotted the landscape. Dwellings from the Railroads and Industrial Growth period were simple wood frame buildings; many showed an influence from the Gothic Revival style of architecture. The most common style was the Vernacular or Western Farmhouse. In contrast to earlier dwellings, the buildings of this period had a vertical emphasis: windows were taller and roof pitch was steeper. Drop siding was the most popular exterior wall material, although some buildings were clad with primitive lap siding. Windows had multiple lights or panes. The windows of earlier buildings (circa 1860s) typically had six lights or panes in each sash. As window glass became more readily available, panes became larger and the number of lights became fewer. By the end of the period, four lights per sash became common. In general, agricultural buildings continued to be low, broad buildings. Improvements in farm practices and building technology, however, caused changes to agrarian buildings. Beginning in the 1870s, barns began to be taller to accommodate machinery, such as hay fork lifts. During the Progressive Era (1883 1913), the population of Clackamas County tripled from 9260 to almost 30,000. The land claimed during the previous periods was subdivided and more intensively farmed. Farms increased in raw numbers and in total production. The Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill vicinity experienced expansion in commerce, industry and social institutions. Baker's Quarry is a notable example of the industrial development. It provided the stone for several buildings during this period including the Pioneer Post Office/Courthouse (1872) the Portland Hotel (1896) in Portland, and the Tillamook Lighthouse. Other early industrialists operated sawmills. Throughout the country and in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area, the public demanded better roadways. As a result of the agitation of farmers via the Grange and other organizations, the enabling legislation was passed in 1893 authorizing road improvement districts. The establishment of the Rural Free Delivery mail program also stimulated farmers to spend funds for rural road improvements. A post office was established at Logan in 1884. The community was named for Major General John Logan during the year Logan was a candidate for the office of United States Vice-President. Logan was a career military officer, a diplomat, a statesman, and an author, who apparently was the choice of voters and residents of this tablelands area of Clackamas County. Lafayette Humiston was named postmaster of the Logan post office. The post office operated until 1903, when it became a victim of the extension of rural free delivery. In 1892 a post office was established at Redland on the David Cuttings land claim, a place that would also be known as Four Corners during the historic period. Redland was approximately six miles east of Oregon City and named for red soil. William J. Johnson was the first post master. The post office was closed in 1903, another victim of rural free delivery. The Harding Grange was established in 1894. Within two years, the Grange Hall was built at the intersection of Harding and Springwater roads. The Buenker German Methodist Church was constructed in 1895 near the Harding Grange, at what was later referred to as Upper Logan. A flour mill was built by Ernest H. Burghardt, one of the early settlers, near Deep Creek. The community, composed of the flour mill, a store and a post office (established in 1896), was named Barton, after Burghardt's hometown in Wisconsin. The first federal fish hatchery in Oregon was established at the outlet of Clear Creek at the Clackamas River. This facility was only the second of its kind in the United States. From the late 1890s until 1920s, the community of Baker Bridge was known as Stone. One source says this place was named in honor of the first superintendent of the fish hatchery, Livingstone Stone. The Oregon Geographic Names, however, states the name came from the number of large boulders in the locality. During the same period, a post office was established at Stone. The name of this community was again changed to Carver when a town site at Stone was surveyed and platted by Stephen S. Carver (1866-1933) in 1915. The post office of Carver was established about 1924. At the close of the period, industrial, agricultural and commercial expansion continued. Changes in agriculture and other industries, and a trend toward urbanization marked the period. Technological advancements in agriculture continued, resulting in higher productivity. Specialized farming changed the landscape and the economy. Income related to dairying doubled during the period. The Cheese Factory produced cheese on a commercial scale near Fischer's Mill. Truck farming near urban centers increased. Lumber began to decrease in importance in the lower elevations. However, in hilly areas, the cutting of timber continued well into the 20th century. Social improvements, such as the construction of schools and churches, were also being undertaken throughout the period. Interurban railroads sought to fill the demand for better transportation systems and entrepreneurs took advantage of the situation. Electric railroads were constructed to serve the northern portion of the study area. In 1902, the Oregon Water Power & Railway Company incorporated. Initially serving the population between Portland and Gresham, the line was extended to the Clackamas River when a second power plant was constructed at Boring. Service continued to Estacada in 1907, upon the completion of the Cazedero dam. Several towns were founded in anticipation of greater development. Boring Junction was platted in 1902 at the intersection of the railroad right-of-way and the north fork of Deep Creek. The plat was amended in 1906. In 1904, Barton and Eagle Creek, just east of the study area, were plotted. Both towns were never developed as planned and the plots were vacated in 1906. Other places, such as Fischer's Mill, Harding, Logan, Springwater, and Viola were never envisioned as fully developed towns, but they maintained their role as the focal points of dispersed communities because of their social/cultural or industrial institutions. Vernacular buildings continued to be popular in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill vicinity; although in rare instances more varied styles were constructed. The eclectic styles of the late 19th century were more popular in cities; rural folk adapted modest forms of the ornament typically associated with the urban designs. The availability of machine-made ornament, such as turned posts and balustrades, jigsawn brackets, and patterned shingles, allowed a modicum of decorative treatments to be used on even the most remote farmhouse. At the turn of the century innovative American styles came into being. The most popular in Clackamas County was the Craftsman Bungalow. The designers of this type rejected the machine made ornament and instead embraced the handmade look and natural materials. This building type would continue to be the most popular through the following period. Agricultural buildings changed dramatically during the Progressive Era. By the turn of the century barns had become quite tall. Most barns were equipped with devices to raise hay to a second floor or to a higher loft. Barns began to be designed in a variety of shapes, including Gambrel and Gothic Gambrel. During the Motor Age (1914 1940), transportation improvements and growth in population continued to fuel agricultural activity. By the 1920s specialized crops, such as fruit and nut cultivation and dairying, began to supplant general farming in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill vicinity. An additional interurban railroad was constructed during this period. Stephen Carver envisioned a rail service that would emanate from the urban areas and serve the lower Clackamas River Valley. Fighting against more powerful financiers and industrialists, and the tide of automobiles, Carver constructed a rail line that was never fully realized. Service was established in 1923, six years after he founded the town of Carver. The company was incorporated into a larger railroad, and the line eventually went to Viola where lumber was the major commodity carried. Service ceased in 1940. During the Depression and the years following, the population remained steady. The towns continued as agricultural centers. The Craftsman Bungalow style continued to be the most popular style although a variety of Period Revival styles were introduced from Europe after World War I. Changes in agricultural buildings continued. Large barns were still constructed, but the most notable change was the introduction of outbuildings for large scale specialized farming. After World War II, the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area witnessed dramatic changes. Changes occurred in agricultural practices. Growing grass for seed became an important agricultural product. More recently, the cultivation of Christmas trees has become the most visible component of the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill landscape. Suburban development has also intruded into parts of the study area.
Title Records Census Records Property Tax Records Local Histories
Sanborn Maps Biographical Sources SHPO Files Interviews
Obituaries Newspapers State Archives Historic Photographs
City Directories Building Permits State Library
Local Library: University Library:
Historical Society: Other Respository:
Bibliography:
Stephen Dow Beckham, "The Barlow Road: An Historical Study" (Portland, for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Mt. Hood National Forest, 1979), Vol. 1, pages 1-2. Eleanor Allen, "Canvas Caravan: Based on the Journal of Esther Belle McMillan Hanna", who with her husband, Rev. Joseph A. Hanna, brought the Presbyterian Colony to Oregon in 1852 (Portland: Binfords and Mort, 1946), 119-120. Broadhurst, Joanne. Unrecorded interview w/ Pam Hayden, April 1991. Cody, Mary E., "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form," 1979. Burnett, Tom. Unrecorded interview with peggy Sigler, February 2008.