Oregon Historic Sites Database

Search Menu

Site Information small logo

Oregon Historic Sites Database

address:18025 S Harding Rd historic name:Johnston, Andrew J & Anna B, Farmstead
Oregon City, Clackamas County (97045) current/other names:
assoc addresses:18027 S Harding Rd
block/lot/tax lot:N/A / N/A / 01200
location descr: twnshp/rng/sect/qtr sect:2S 3E 34
resource type:Building height (stories):2.0 total elig resources:7 total inelig resources:
elig evaluation: eligible/significant NR Status: Individually Listed
prim constr date:1898 second date:1920 date indiv listed:02/21/1997
primary orig use: Farmstead orig use comments:
second orig use:
primary style: Queen Anne prim style comments:
secondary style: Utilitarian sec style comments:
primary siding: Horizontal Board siding comments:Wide dropped siding w/ cornerboards and rake boards
secondary siding: Wood:Other/Undefined
plan type: Central Passage architect:
builder:Johnson, Andrew J
comments/notes:
Survey/Grouping Included In: Type of Grouping Date Listed Date Compiled
   Clackamas County Historic Landmarks Survey & Inventory Project 2008
NR date listed: 02/21/1997
ILS survey date: 09/30/2007
RLS survey date: 02/01/1991
Special Assessment
Status Term End Yr
Closed 1st  2012
106 Project(s): None
Federal Tax Project(s): None
(Includes expanded description of the building/property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings and alterations)
ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Cross, clipped gable PRIMARY WINDOW TYPE: Double-hung sash w/ architrave molding DECORATIVE FEATURES: Chamfered posts, brackets and balustrade; chimney pot; ornate door; gable ornament; partial return on frontal gable; frieze; spindle work above diagonal sash; dentils; porch w/ spindle work frieze; polygonal full-height-turret with tent onion-shaped roof and metal finial OTHER: Porch w/ hip roof; door w/ horizontal panel and transom light; polygonal window bay; one-story wing w/ catslide roof, n. elev. The Johnston House is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style. It is noteworthy for its complex plan and massing, as well as for its fine architectural details. The house is the only example in the study area--and one of few in the county--with a turret. The house is composed of a series of rectangular volumes. Decorative treatments are found on each elevation and include the spindle work gable ornament; the Eastlake brackets and frieze and balustrade on the front porch; the brackets at the diagonal window sashes; and the finial at the peak of the turret. He constructed a lathe in order to make the decorative woodwork on his own house. Barn: DATE BUILT: 1898 STYLE: Western PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 2 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Post-and-beam set on stone ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Cross gab w/ sheet metal WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/unknown PRIMARY WINDOW TYPE: Four-over-four double-hung sash w/ plain surrounds EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Wide, dropped siding DECORATIVE FEATURES: Central gable OTHER: Side-wall overhead sliding door EXTERIOR ALTERATIONS (DATE): Reconstructed (1991) Outhouse: DATE BUILT: c. 1899 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Post-and-beam ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Gable w/ sheet metal WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Horizontal wood siding DECORATIVE FEATURES: Partial return and quarter sunburst in gable return OTHER: Vertical paneled door Garage: ESTIMATED DATE BUILT: c. 1920 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Concrete ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Gable w/ sheet metal WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Wide dropped siding w/ cornerboards DECORATIVE FEATURES: Diagonally applied matched siding on doors OTHER: Paired, hinged paneled-and-glazed door Woodshed/Garage: ESTIMATED DATE BUILT: c. 1920 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Concrete ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Gable w/ wood shingles WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Horizontal wood siding OTHER: Side-wall overhead door Machine Shed: ESTIMATED DATE BUILT: c. 1920 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Post-and-beam ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Gable w/ sheet metal WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Narrow-dropped siding w/ cornerboards OTHER: Paired hinged paneled door Pig Shed: ESTIMATED DATE BUILT: c. 1900 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Post-and-beam ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Flat w/ sheet metal WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Vertical boards Checken Coop: ESTIMATED DATE BUILT: c. 1910 STYLE: Vernacular PLAN/TYPE/SHAPE: Rectangular NO. OF STORIES: 1 FOUNDATION MATERIAL: Post-and-beam ROOF FORM AND MATERIALS: Flat w/ sheet metal WALL CONSTRUCTION/STRUCTURAL FRAME: Wood/stud EXTERIOR SURFACING MATERIALS: Tongue-and-groove siding LANDSCAPE: Ornamental plantings and mature deciduous trees. There are numerous plant materials which contribute to the historic character of the property. Around the house there are several ornamental shrubbery. Between the house and smaller outbuildings there are mature fruit trees. The Johnston Farm is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Harding and Springwater Roads; both are two-lane thoroughfares. The site is level with several mature ornamental plantings, such as holly, lilacs, honeysuckle and hawthorne trees; and mature fruit trees, such as apple, pear and plum. On the north and northwest there are pastures. To the west is a mobile home. Across Harding Road is a Christmas tree farm. To the south is a fire station, and beyond that the Harding Grange (See SHPO #986).
(Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period - preferably to the present)
SUBJECT PROPERTY The Andrew and Anna Johnston Farm is located at Fischers Mill, within the original Robert Arthur donation land claim. The Barlow Road was located just to the north east of this property. The resource may be evaluated as a farm complex; the house may also be evaluated as an example of the Queen Anne style. Andrew J. and Anna Johnston were the original owners of the subject farm. A.J. Johnston purchased the land in 1897 from Joseph Robertson and designed and built the subject house. The farm remained in the Johnston family through the historic period. According to their son Roland Johnston, who was born in the house, the elder Johnston traveled annually to Wrangell, Alaska, working in the fish canneries and returning to Logan to farm and do carpentry work for others, in order to pay for the materials for the house. Andrew Johnston built several other houses in the Logan area. It is not known which other houses he designed and built. It is suspected that he built the Reichen House (see SHPO 966-967). The house is part of a farm complex, including a woodshed/garage, machine shed, barn, pig shed, non-historic shed, outhouse and garage. Along the eastern property line are the woodshed/garage, machine shed and barn. The woodshed/garage is attached to the dwelling and repeats some of the design elements, such as the partial roof returns. The machine shed is located between the woodshed and the barn; the siding and exposed rafters suggest a 1920s or 30s date of construction. The barn is an unusual version of the Western barn type; there are few cross gable barns in the county. The barn is undergoing reconstruction at this writing. On the opposite side of the farm yard are the other outbuildings. Closest to the house is the garage. This building also repeats some of the design vocabulary of the house; the roof return and shingles. The diagonally applied matched siding of the hinged doors are similar to those on a building on the Reichen Farm, which is just north of the Johnston Farm on Harding Road. The Johnston Farm is the one of two Queen Anne residences on the inventory in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill study constructed during the Progressive Era (1884-1913). This property contains one of ten Western barns on the inventory in the study area. The Johnston Farm is significant as an excellent example of an early 20th century farm complex. Several of the buildings, including the house and barn, are individually significant as excellent examples of their type. The subject property is important due to its proximity to the Barlow Road Historic Corridor. The Johnston Farm is prominently located at the intersection of Springwater, Harding and Eaden roads. Across Springwater Road is the Harding Grange. (See SHPO 976.) HISTORIC BACKGROUND The earliest settlers in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area was the Phillip Foster family. Phillip Foster, an immigrant merchant from Maine, arrived in Oregon by sea with his business partner Francis W. Pettygrove in 1843. They established a mercantile in Oregon City that same year. Foster settled in the area near what would later be known as Eagle Creek. According to local legend, Foster learned of the area from a Native American. At Eagle Creek, Foster staked a land claim, built a large log cabin, planted fruit trees from seeds brought from Maine, and erected a grist mill along Goose Creek, which bisected his claim. Foster was an influential man in early Oregon affairs. He was elected Treasurer of the Provisional Government, which included the future states of Washington, Idaho, parts of Montana, and Wyoming. He was also a partner of John McLoughlin and others in the Willamette Cattle Company. Foster may be best known for his participation in the establishment of the Barlow Road. "The single most important road building project during this period was the construction of the Barlow Road, the western segment of the Oregon Trail. Upon receiving funds and a license from the Provisional Government in 1846, Samuel K. Barlow formed a partnership with Phillip Foster and constructed a wagon road around Mount Hood, creating the first major overland option to the Columbia River passage. When completed, the road covered 80 miles. In July of 1846, former fur trapper Reuben Gant became the first person to drive a wagon over the new toll road" (Koler/Morrison: 1990). The presence of the Barlow Road contributed to the development of Clackamas County and the Pacific Northwest. The Barlow Road, which evolved into a number of present day thoroughfares, became a Territorial Road and it would retain its status as a primary east-west thoroughfare. Today portions of the road are state highways 26, 212 and 224. The Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area was subject to more intensive and early settlement than any other location in the county for two reasons: (1) the land was suitable for farming and (2) it was on or near the Barlow Road. Many settlers traveling along this early road would identify a desirable place and then file a claim in Oregon City. Others went directly to Oregon City and later "shopped" for a suitable location. Settlement patterns were also determined by family units or former neighbors, who would lay claim to adjacent property. Local school records indicate that other settlers following Foster were: John Church, William Endersby, T. Forrester, Peter H. Hatch, John P. Glover, and Doctor Reed. Later claimants included Bell, Douglas, William Howlett, F. and William Johnson, Judd, and Smith. After the passage of the Donation Land Claim Act of 1850, numerous others settled in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill study area. N. Lamb claimed the land on the north side of the Clackamas River west of present-day Barton. On the land between Eagle Creek and Estacada on the north side of the river were the claims of Thomas Forrester at Deep Creek; Joseph Church, J.P. Glover, James Foster, and Phillip Foster at Eagle Creek; E. Olcott; George W. Weston; John B. Chiles; J. Young; Charles A. Wade; R.P. Young; George Currin at Currinsville; Henry Wehrheim; J.H. Miller, and Hugh Currin at Morrow; S. Torrence; and Thomas Lee. On the south side of the Clackamas River, from Carver on the north to south of Estacada, were the claims of Horace Baker at Carver; William Arthur, Mark Hatton, Soloman Wheeler, John Foster, Ambrose Foster at Deep Creek; Alwin M. Harding at Harding, later Fischer's Mill; Joseph Church, Isaac Eastwell, Isaac M. Foster, Isaac H. Chase, C.E. Tracy, Nathan Marks and Robert Arthur at Logan; W. Harper, Ora Mattoon, Thomas Waterbury, Z.C. Norton, R. Mattoon and A. Mattoon at Viola; Asa Stone; James Brown; Orland Bidwell; Frederick Helms; Henry Rowleed; J. McCord; P. Warnock; Frederick Wallenstein; M. Folsom; J. Stephenson; H. Brown and Samuel Hughes. Flanking either side of Redland Road, west of Viola, were the land claims of William McConnell, William Fosdyke, Ridelash Mettoll, and A. Wright at Redland; Matthew Richardson, David Cutting, Barney Briock, G. Hichinbotham, and A.J. Wright at Four Corners; D. Moster and Nicholas Wells at Viola. The first settlement in the vicinity was at Eagle Creek, named for the preponderance of eagles which inhabited the area where Foster had established the grist mill, as well as the first store and hostelry west of the Missouri River on the Oregon Trail. Foster supplied overland immigrants with fresh food and supplies. After taking over the management of the Barlow Road from Barlow, Foster extended several immigrant trails which radiated from his donation land claim. The intensive settlement of the area caused social improvements to occur relatively early. In 1850 area residents petitioned the Probate Court of the Provisional Government to establish a public school at Eagle Creek. The size of the initial school district was immense by current standards. The petitioners assembled at John P. Glover's house. The following year a frame schoolhouse was constructed. Other political matters occurred during the Settlement, Statehood and Steampower period (1847-1865) which had a significant impact on the development of the Eagle Creek area. In 1854 the Provisional Government saw the need to reduce the size of the Clackamas District, one quarter of the Oregon Country. The elected representatives proposed to create the county of Multnomah out of the Clackamas District. Residents north of the Clackamas River favored the river as the boundary. According to newspaper accounts, Foster was sent by his neighbors to convey their preference, however, due to injury to his horse and generally inclement weather, Foster's arrival was delayed until after the vote was taken. The part of Clackamas County on the north side of the Clackamas River remained Clackamas County rather than becoming part of Multnomah County. The population of the county during the Settlement, Statehood and Steampower period was primarily made up of English, Irish and German immigrants, many of who had lived in Missouri or Kentucky. Mid 19th century dwellings were often of log or simple wood frame construction. Some exhibited an influence from the Classical Revival style of architecture, although generally this influence was limited to symmetrical facade arrangements and suggestions of a cornice at the eave line and corner boards. Like their residential counterparts, agricultural buildings from the period were generally simple buildings. Due to the nature of farming practices, barns and sheds were low profile broad buildings. Few houses and no agricultural buildings are known to survive from this earlier period. After the Civil War, during the period known as the Railroads and Industrial Growth period (1866 1883), the area experienced slow but steady growth. Both Eagle Creek and the community of Clear Creek established post offices in 1867. Foster was named the post master of Eagle Creek, and Oliver P. Mattoon was the post master of Clear Creek. In 1876 Clear Creek was renamed Viola for Violet O. Harding, wife of pioneer Alwin M. Harding. Alwin Harding constructed a mill, later to be known as Fischer's Mill, on Clear Creek in the 1860s. This enterprise was purchased by Mathias Carl Kirchem in 1867. The mill was sold in 1889 to August Fischer, whose descendants operated the facility through the historic period. Also in 1869, a church, to be later known as the Viola Church, was constructed along present-day Springwater Road. Nearly 20 years later the church was moved to the place known as Viola. At the future site of Carver, a slack-line ferry was put into operation by Horace Baker in 1872. The ferry would operate until it was taken out by a flood in 1882. That year a bridge was constructed at Baker Ferry, and the place-name changed to Baker Bridge. Horace Baker also contributed in other ways to the transportation history of Clackamas County and the state of Oregon. Baker supplied the stone for the construction of the locks at the Willamette Falls (1868). The construction of the Oregon California Railroad, the single most important transportation improvement of the period, did not serve the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill community directly. However, despite the inaccessibility to the area, the rural population continued to expand. With the exception of the more hilly areas, farms were established throughout the study area. During the Railroads and Industrial Growth period, subsistence farming was the norm throughout the county, as well as in the study area. Livestock and cereal grains were raised and lumber complemented the rural economy. Kitchen gardens were essential. Toward the end of the period, oats began to surpass wheat as the number one crop and potatoes attained the rank of number three crop. Increasing numbers of livestock corresponded with an increase in hay production. The total number of acres in cultivation tripled from 1866 to 1883. Lumber was an important part of the local economy. Saw mills and grist mills dotted the landscape. Dwellings from the Railroads and Industrial Growth period were simple wood frame buildings; many showed an influence from the Gothic Revival style of architecture. The most common style was the Vernacular or Western Farmhouse. In contrast to earlier dwellings, the buildings of this period had a vertical emphasis: windows were taller and roof pitch was steeper. Drop siding was the most popular exterior wall material, although some buildings were clad with primitive lap siding. Windows had multiple lights or panes. The windows of earlier buildings (circa 1860s) typically had six lights or panes in each sash. As window glass became more readily available, panes became larger and the number of lights became fewer. By the end of the period, four lights per sash became common. In general, agricultural buildings continued to be low, broad buildings. Improvements in farm practices and building technology, however, caused changes to agrarian buildings. Beginning in the 1870s, barns began to be taller to accommodate machinery, such as hay fork lifts. During the Progressive Era (1883 1913), the population of Clackamas County tripled from 9260 to almost 30,000. The land claimed during the previous periods was subdivided and more intensively farmed. Farms increased in raw numbers and in total production. The Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill vicinity experienced expansion in commerce, industry and social institutions. Baker's Quarry is a notable example of the industrial development. It provided the stone for several buildings during this period including the Pioneer Post Office/Courthouse (1872) the Portland Hotel (1896) in Portland, and the Tillamook Lighthouse. Other early industrialists operated sawmills. Throughout the country and in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area, the public demanded better roadways. As a result of the agitation of farmers via the Grange and other organizations, the enabling legislation was passed in 1893 authorizing road improvement districts. The establishment of the Rural Free Delivery mail program also stimulated farmers to spend funds for rural road improvements. A post office was established at Logan in 1884. The community was named for Major General John Logan during the year Logan was a candidate for the office of United States Vice-President. Logan was a career military officer, a diplomat, a statesman, and an author, who apparently was the choice of voters and residents of this tablelands area of Clackamas County. Lafayette Humiston was named postmaster of the Logan post office. The post office operated until 1903, when it became a victim of the extension of rural free delivery. In 1892 a post office was established at Redland on the David Cuttings land claim, a place that would also be known as Four Corners during the historic period. Redland was approximately six miles east of Oregon City and named for red soil. William J. Johnson was the first post master. The post office was closed in 1903, another victim of rural free delivery. The Harding Grange was established in 1894. Within two years, the Grange Hall was built at the intersection of Harding and Springwater roads. The Buenker German Methodist Church was constructed in 1895 near the Harding Grange, at what was later referred to as Upper Logan. A flour mill was built by Ernest H. Burghardt, one of the early settlers, near Deep Creek. The community, composed of the flour mill, a store and a post office (established in 1896), was named Barton, after Burghardt's hometown in Wisconsin. The first federal fish hatchery in Oregon was established at the outlet of Clear Creek at the Clackamas River. This facility was only the second of its kind in the United States. From the late 1890s until 1920s, the community of Baker Bridge was known as Stone. One source says this place was named in honor of the first superintendent of the fish hatchery, Livingstone Stone. The Oregon Geographic Names, however, states the name came from the number of large boulders in the locality. During the same period, a post office was established at Stone. The name of this community was again changed to Carver when a town site at Stone was surveyed and platted by Stephen S. Carver (1866-1933) in 1915. The post office of Carver was established about 1924. At the close of the period, industrial, agricultural and commercial expansion continued. Changes in agriculture and other industries, and a trend toward urbanization marked the period. Technological advancements in agriculture continued, resulting in higher productivity. Specialized farming changed the landscape and the economy. Income related to dairying doubled during the period. The Cheese Factory produced cheese on a commercial scale near Fischer's Mill. Truck farming near urban centers increased. Lumber began to decrease in importance in the lower elevations. However, in hilly areas, the cutting of timber continued well into the 20th century. Social improvements, such as the construction of schools and churches, were also being undertaken throughout the period. Interurban railroads sought to fill the demand for better transportation systems and entrepreneurs took advantage of the situation. Electric railroads were constructed to serve the northern portion of the study area. In 1902, the Oregon Water Power & Railway Company incorporated. Initially serving the population between Portland and Gresham, the line was extended to the Clackamas River when a second power plant was constructed at Boring. Service continued to Estacada in 1907, upon the completion of the Cazedero dam. Several towns were founded in anticipation of greater development. Boring Junction was platted in 1902 at the intersection of the railroad right-of-way and the north fork of Deep Creek. The plat was amended in 1906. In 1904, Barton and Eagle Creek, just east of the study area, were plotted. Both towns were never developed as planned and the plots were vacated in 1906. Other places, such as Fischer's Mill, Harding, Logan, Springwater, and Viola were never envisioned as fully developed towns, but they maintained their role as the focal points of dispersed communities because of their social/cultural or industrial institutions. Vernacular buildings continued to be popular in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill vicinity, although in rare instances more varied styles were constructed. The eclectic styles of the late 19th century were more popular in cities; rural folk adapted modest forms of the ornament typically associated with the urban designs. The availability of machine-made ornament, such as turned posts and balustrades, jigsawn brackets, and patterned shingles, allowed a modicum of decorative treatments to be used on even the most remote farmhouse. At the turn of the century innovative American styles came into being. The most popular in Clackamas County was the Craftsman Bungalow. The designers of this type rejected the machine made ornament and instead embraced the handmade look and natural materials. This building type would continue to be the most popular through the following period. Agricultural buildings changed dramatically during the Progressive Era. By the turn of the century barns had become quite tall. Most barns were equipped with devices to raise hay to a second floor or to a higher loft. Barns began to be designed in a variety of shapes, including Gambrel and Gothic Gambrel. During the Motor Age (1914 1940), transportation improvements and growth in population continued to fuel agricultural activity. By the 1920s specialized crops, such as fruit and nut cultivation and dairying, began to supplant general farming in the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill vicinity. An additional interurban railroad was constructed during this period. Stephen Carver envisioned a rail service that would emanate from the urban areas and serve the lower Clackamas River Valley. Fighting against more powerful financiers and industrialists, and the tide of automobiles, Carver constructed a rail line that was never fully realized. Service was established in 1923, six years after he founded the town of Carver. The company was incorporated into a larger railroad, and the line eventually went to Viola where lumber was the major commodity carried. Service ceased in 1940. During the Depression and the years following, the population remained steady. The towns continued as agricultural centers. The Craftsman Bungalow style continued to be the most popular style although a variety of Period Revival styles were introduced from Europe after World War I. Changes in agricultural buildings continued. Large barns were still constructed, but the most notable change was the introduction of outbuildings for large scale specialized farming. After World War II, the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill area witnessed dramatic changes. Changes occurred in agricultural practices. Growing grass for seed became an important agricultural product. More recently, the cultivation of Christmas trees has become the most visible component of the Carver-Eagle Creek-Fischer's Mill landscape. Suburban development has also intruded into parts of the study area.
Title Records Census Records Property Tax Records Local Histories
Sanborn Maps Biographical Sources SHPO Files Interviews
Obituaries Newspapers State Archives Historic Photographs
City Directories Building Permits State Library
Local Library: University Library:
Historical Society: Other Respository:
Bibliography:
Clackamas County Cultural Resource Inventory, 1984. "Oregonian", "Family Memories Haunt Majestic Landmark" 21 May 1985, sec. B, p. 5 TICOR Title Company records, Oregon City, OR.